10 Interesting Facts About Goji Berry
Goji berry is one of the most nutritious berry that one can consume. The ayurvedic science of holistic healing in India which is over 5000 years old, recognizes Goji as a significant fruit for healing and immunity. Goji berry is also called as wolfberry, and is bright orange-red in color and comes from the China, Tibet, and the Himalayan regions. This tiny berry is native to China, and the Chinese also have consumed this berry for thousands of years and have believed that it increases the length and quality of life, due to its healing properties.
Here are some fascinating facts about Goji berries, which will drive you to consume at least a handful every day! The most important benefit of Goji berries is its nutritional value. This little peanut sized berry is so nutritionally dense, that consuming even have a few berries can have tremendous benefits. It is a rich source of essential nutrients like vitamin A, C, and E, and antioxidant properties.
Let us very briefly look at how this little berry can help enhance your health, but more importantly, let us see how we can consume it. Although it has excellent health benefits as we all know, it is crucial to consume goji berries on a regular basis to actually gain any benefits:
- Goji berries have very high levels of vitamin A, and due to this, it helps improve the eyesight.
- Because of its high antioxidant content, it helps the body against cancer. It has a very high ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity), due to which it can fight against the free radicals which in turn help to fight cancer.
- Due to these free radicals, it also helps protect the collagen, which in turn keeps the skin looking younger and healthier. It is the world’s most powerful anti-aging food, due to its high antioxidant levels.
- It also helps improve your blood sugar levels by increasing the insulin sensitivity which in turn helps absorb more glucose into the cells. They have a shallow glycemic index and hence an excellent food for diabetics.
- They are high in fiber, and due to this it also helps control blood sugar which in turn makes you feel fuller longer, and therefore curb hunger. This, in turn, would help keep weight under control.
- Goji berries contain twice the amount of beta-carotene than carrots.
- It contains twice the amount of vitamin C as compared to an orange.
- It is a rich source of selenium which helps protect your liver.
- It can be consumed as a great snack before a workout, because of its high protein, vitamin, and high fiber content.
- Another significant benefit of consuming Goji berry is it reduces inflammation.
Some Interesting ways of consuming Goji Berries
Now let us see how we can consume these tremendous powerful berries without getting bored of chewing them every day in its raw form! Although they taste great even when eaten raw due to its sweetness, it still can be made more interesting by consuming them in more creative ways. One of the most popular ways of consuming goji berry is in a juice form. Although goji berry juices are freely available in the market, consuming fresh juices always has its own benefits, and the most important advantage is that you can get the maximum number of vitamins present in the fruit. Processing fruits for its juices indeed cause a loss of these vitamins to some extent, especially vitamins C and B, which are more volatile when exposed to any kind of hot or cold process.
Homemade Goji Berry Juice:
Organic Raw Goji Berry Powder – 3 tablespoons
Dates – 2 pieces (to add a little sweetness)
- Soak the goji berries for 3 or 4 hours or overnight.
- Add the goji berries and dates in the blender and add about 240 ml water.
- Strain if desired.
Tip: Optionally add an orange or lemon juice in the blender to mix with the goji juice. This will make the juice a little citrus.
Another exciting way to consume goji berries is to add it to your salad. This salad will keep you up and run for several hours. It is very high in antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C, A, and omega-3 fatty acids.
Chickpeas – 4 tablespoons
Cherry Tomatoes – few
Goji berries – 2 tablespoons
Chia seeds – 1 tablespoons
Shredded Carrots – 1 tablespoon
Avocado – 1 small
Lettuce – a few leaves
Lemon juice – few drops
Rock Salt – a pinch
Black Pepper – a pinch
Chop all the salad vegetables and mix all the ingredients in it. Refrigerate it for some time before consuming.
- Goji berries can also be used in preparing a salad dressing and can be blended with tomatoes to make a lovely tangy tomato goji chutney or sauce. This chutney can be used as a spread for your sandwich or wrap, and would taste great!
- It can be added to a trail mix, cookies, soups, smoothies and also Greek Yogurt.
By Sonal Khakhar